Sunday, January 16, 2011

Murphy- My Monitor Rescue

Here's a bit about how I got my little urban dinosaur, Murphy:
We picked up this little guy as a rescue at the Sacramento Reptile show in September of 2010. He was skinny, dehydrated, not shedding properly, and VERY cold. We put him under lights right away and started giving him warm soaks every other night, and discovered he had a huge tick under his left arm!! 

Over the last few months, he's been fed a very diverse diet (to say the least). Lots and lots of very large worms and insects, some cat food at first to give him an appetite, he loves hard boiled eggs, an occasional fuzzy, and lean turkey meat.

He's recovering quite well, has gained weight but could use to take on some more. The last healing he has to do is actually in his tail... When I got him he had a stiff 1/2" tip of his tail that looked like it had been jammed or broken, and was going to fall off. Over the last week, I've noticed the stiff spot creep its way up slightly, and a scab has formed. I've done a little research and contacted Davis, as well as my herp vet, and all that they've said is that it might be a dry gangrene? I'll be taking him into a vet shortly to get him a diagnosis and a treatment, but if anyone has heard of this, please let me know!

In the meantime, he's being socialized with people as much as possible. He's picking up the typical lizard behavior and (as monitors always do) is constantly trying to escape his enclosure. He's 20" so far, and is being housed in a 125 gallon aquarium. The enclosure measures roughly 6'x2'x2'.

No comments:

Post a Comment